Monday, August 12, 2013

Nutty Molasses Carrot Muffins (Vegan)


Hey all! Happy Monday!
I have a really delicious recipe to share with you today, but before I get to that I have some news I'd like to tell you about. And it's pretty major....


Guys, I'm moving to Austin!

One week from this very moment, I will be traveling southeast in a car headed toward my new hometown. And I cannot wait! If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you're probably thinking, "Didn't you just move?" The answer is yes, yes I did. These past five months in Colorado have been a great time in my life, but it's time to move onto a place where I see myself staying more permanently; somewhere I can actually feel settled. I'm hoping Austin can be that place. I'll let you know, but for now let's talk muffins!


I found the original recipe for these muffins on Pintrest and could not wait to try them. Let me tell you, they are scrumptious! They have a perfect muffin consistency with a strong molasses flavor, nutty texture and subtle hint of carrot. These muffins make a tasty, cozy breakfast or snack on a cool, rainy day like the ones we've been getting here in Colorado.


Nutty Molasses Carrot Muffins
Adapted from this recipe.
  • 2 Cups Spelt Flour
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 3/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seed (mixed into 6 Tablespoons Warm Water)
  • 1/3 Cup Unrefined Coconut Oil, Melted
  • 1/2 Cup Blackstrap Molasses
  • 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
  • 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1 Cup Shredded Carrot
  • 1 1/4 Cup Chopped Pecans (or Walnuts)
Makes 12 muffins.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with liners or grease with coconut oil.
Combine flax seeds and warm water in a large bowl and set aside. Combine spelt flour, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon and 1 cup of the pecans in a medium bowl and set aside. Whisk the "flax eggs" until it begins to look more gelatinous, add the coconut oil and whisk again until combined. Mix in the vanilla, molasses, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and carrots. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until combined; do not over mix.
Spoon the muffin batter into the muffins tin, filling each section approximately 2/3 of the of the way. Sprinkle the remaining chopped nuts on top of the batter. Place muffin tin into the oven to cook for 30 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly from one of the muffins. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing the muffins from the tin. And as always, enjoy!


Have you ever been to or live in Austin?
What are some awesome things I should do once I move there?

7 comments:

  1. Yay, congratulations on your move! I've heard so many good things about Austin. (And their food trucks!) I'm sure you will love it. :) And oh, molasses--one of my favorite ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm SO excited for awesome food trucks!

      Delete
  2. That looks so gorgeous! I haven't been to Austin, but I've heard that it is vegan-friendly, too! Check out loads of vegan eats and share them on your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And lovely blog, so simple and pretty! This is my first time here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for stopping by! You're right, they are very vegan friendly! At least compared to Colorado Springs!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your move! I've only been to Austin briefly before, but most of Texas seems very liveable and friendly. I'm sure you'll love it :)
    I love using whole grains for molasses muffins because it goes so well with the intended density and chewiness :) Thanks for this recipe! Can't wait for more molasses with fall flavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So far I'm loving Austin! I'm so excited for fall flavors, too!

      Delete