Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Pecan Plum Oatmeal (Vegan)


I love plums, but I forget about them all the time. Same with nectarines. Poor stone fruit not getting any love. This week I was reminded of my love for plums when they were only a dollar and change for a pound at the grocery store. Win! (It should be noted that I will notice anything if you show me how inexpensive it is. I don't care what it is, if it's cheap you've got my attention).


Apart from stuffing my face with plums this past week, I've also been trying to figure out healthy breakfasts to bring to work with me. Most mornings my stomach can only handle a small glass of kombucha and a piece of fruit if I'm lucky. By the time I bike to work I'm ready for something more filling, but if I don't come prepared my only option is a muffin the size of my face (or the banana bread that feels like a brick). This oatmeal has been a lifesaver (and waist saver). It's delicious, satisfying and filling, plus it takes less than a minute to put together in the morning. And with these snazzy, perfectly sized Pyrex dishes I found at Target it also helps save the earth from the hundreds of oatmeal packets I could be going through. 

Pecan Plum Oatmeal
  • 1 Cup Old-Fashioned Oats
  • 1 Tablespoon Ground Flax Seeds
  • 1 Tablespoon Vegan Sugar (I use Coconut Sugar)
  • 1/4 Cup Pecans, Chopped
  • 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 Plum, Sliced, Diced or Chopped
Makes 1 Serving.
Combine all the dry ingredients and stir to avoid any clumps. Add hot water and allow to steep for a minute or two. Stir in the plums and enjoy.

Notes:
-I buy all my ingredients in the bulk section of the grocery store to save money and packaging.
-I never measure the ingredients in the morning. Once you have an idea of what the amount looks like, just throw it in the container to save time and dishes. I also store the ingredients in jars for easy access.
-When I take this oatmeal on the road with me, I just assemble the ingredients at home and then when I'm ready to eat it, I simply add hot water. 



What's your go-to easy and nutritious breakfast?


2 comments:

  1. I've never had cooked plums. Are they anything like cooked apples?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually not sure I have either. The plums in this oatmeal actually aren't cooked, they're added on top and/ or mixed in after the oatmeal is made.

      Delete