Happy Monday Everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. We had a very humid, muggy and rainy weekend here in Austin. So rainy in fact that the Austin City Limits Music Festival was cancelled on Sunday. Don't get me wrong, we need the rain, but maybe we could get it a little more spaced out next time to avoid all this flooding.
I took advantage of the rainy, Sunday afternoon and baked up some muffins and mini-loaves that I've been wanting to share with you all. I had been looking for a gluten-free and vegan apple muffin recipe for awhile, as soon as I saw this recipe on The Simple Veganista, I knew that was the one I was looking for. I had planned to post the recipe a couple weeks ago, but when I uploaded the pictures I wasn't too pleased with the results. So I sucked it up and made these delicious muffins again. How delicious are they, you ask. So delicious that the entire batch had disappeared by the time I went to bed last night.
Slightly adapted from The Simple Veganista
- 2 1/4 Cup Almond Meal
- 1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Oats (be sure they are certified GF for those with an intolerance)
- 2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seeds
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Unrefined Coconut Oil, Melted
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Cup Diced Apples, with or without skin (I kept the skin on)
- 1/2 Cup Cranberries, either dried or fresh and chopped
Makes 9 muffins or 2-3 Mini-Loaves.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl combine the maple syrup, coconut oil, almond milk, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry, be careful to not over-mix. Fold in the apples and cranberries. Pour the batter into greased or lined muffin tins or greased mini-loaf pan. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes for muffins and 25-30 minutes for the mini-loaves. Allow to cool before serving and as always enjoy!