Thursday, October 31, 2013

7 Layer Taco Dip (Vegan, Gluten Free)


I know what you're all probably thinking, "Really Joy? This is your Halloween post? Taco dip?!"

I realize that the calendar reads October 31, but I'm just not feeling it. It does not feel like it should almost be November. I thought about sucking it up and posting a recipe for chocolate chip pumpkin chia pudding or something, but I forgot to buy pumpkin at the store yesterday, a somewhat crucial ingredient in a pumpkin pudding. Then I thought about waiting to post this recipe until tomorrow, but then I realized I was just being ridiculous. If I want to post a recipe for Taco Dip than gosh darn it I will! 

Ahem. Anyway.


I have always loved taco dips (anything involving tacos, really). I think it runs in my family, like loving ice cream. My sister-in-law, Nancy makes an awesome taco dip. Her taco dip is the reason I didn't survive going vegan the first time I tried. I couldn't resist the cheesy goodness! But that is no longer a problem thanks to this Vegan 7 Layer Taco Dip!


Not only is this Taco Dip vegan and delicious, it is also chock full of nutritious ingredients so there's no need to feel guilty about eating it (especially if you're using veggies instead of chips!). Plus it makes a great healthy appetizer or snack at a party or holiday get-together. 

Vegan 7 Layer Taco Dip
  • 2 Cups Vegan Refried Beans
  • 1 Batch of Guacamole
  • Approximately 1 Cup of your favorite Salsa (amount depends on salsa consistency)
  • 2-3 Large Kale Leaves, Shredded
  • 1/4 Cup Black Olives, Sliced
  • 1/4 Cup Diced Tomatoes
  • 1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced
Makes one 9 inch pan.
Simple layer your ingredients. Spread the beans across the bottom of the pan until they make an even layer. Next evenly spread the guacamole, then the salsa. Sprinkle on the shredded kale, olives, tomatoes and jalapenos. Serve with your favorite chips or veggies. Try not to eat the whole pan yourself. 

Notes:
-If using canned beans be sure to read the label, maybe refried beans are made with lard. I would also suggest mixing in some garlic, cumin and black pepper for a better flavor.
-This dip refrigerates really well if you want to make it ahead of time for a party. It lasted over 24 hours in my fridge without going bad or the guacamole turning brown. It actually tasted better after chilling for a little while. 


Did anyone catch how many times I said "taco dip"? 'Cause it felt like a lot. Also the word "layer" looks like it's totally spelled wrong after looking at it for too long. 

What's your favorite appetizer?

8 comments:

  1. Holy Moly, Joy. That looks AMAZING. I want to pour it down my throat.
    If you email me at mrsalexnolan{at}gmail{dot}com then I would be happy to get your address and send you the new book when it comes out. That's what blog friends are for! (and then...maybe you could encourage every single person you've ever met to buy a copy. Lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome! I'm going to email you right now!

      Delete
  2. That looks soooo damn good! I've only tried a layered taco dip once before... it was at a party, and I believe I hijacked the entire bowl and took it into the a corner and ate most of it before anyone else had a chance to! I am also totally not feeling the Halloween thing this year. This year has gone by way too fast. I refuse to accept that it's November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joy! I heard I made it on the blog, I was so excited, lol! This recipe looks great, we'll have to try your variation next time. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I still dream about your taco dip sometimes!

      Delete