Monday, November 25, 2013

Pumpkin Biscotti (Vegan)


I follow a lot of really great blogs that are constantly inspiring me both in the kitchen and in life (click the link on the left for a full list). Last week I stumbled upon a new blog: A Baking Girl. I instantly loved Rossi's site and all her delicious-looking recipes. One recipe for Cranberry Biscotti stuck out to me particularly. Biscotti are one of those things that I love and always forget about (which seems ridiculous since I make coffee for a living and coffee and biscotti are BFFs). I hadn't made any in years and I certainly had never made them vegan.


I also wanted to make something pumpkin because, well, it's pumpkin season and I'm a food blogger so it just seemed like something I should do. I had tried several recipes (scones, chia pudding, ice cream, bars...), but nothing ever tasted right. (Turns out it was the type of pumpkin I was using, or at least I can assume that since as soon as I switched the pumpkin everything I made tasted great). I had 3/4 cup of pumpkin puree left when I stumbled upon Rossi's biscotti recipe which just so happened to call for 3/4 cup of applesauce. Hmmm... I bet I could switch out the applesauce for pumpkin and have pumpkin biscotti, I thought. And Voila! That's exactly what happened. 


Pumpkin Biscotti
Adapted from A Baking Girl
  • 3 Cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
  • 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 3/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
  • 3/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
  • 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil, Melted
  • 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Seeds, Shelled
Makes 8 Biscotti.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. In a second bowl, mix the sugar, pumpkin puree, vanilla and coconut oil. Add the wet mixture to the dry and stir until just combined. Mix in the pumpkin seeds. 
Turn the dough onto a baking sheet and form the dough into a flat log that's about 4 inches long and 3/4 inch thick. Using a butter knife, score the lines of what will be the individual cookies (about every 1/2 inch). Bake for 25 minutes.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Allow the dough to cool for 5-10 minutes then cut the cookies along the score lines and place them on their sides, cut side down. Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes until golden brown, then flip the cookies and bake another 5-10 minutes or until hard and crunchy. 
Allow to cool and then serve with your favorite hot beverage. 



What's your favorite cold weather drink?

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you mastered it, love!
    I'm so proud of you!
    Hot chocolate will ever be my favorite cold weather drink! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so great! I'm definitely going to have to try out this new pumpkin version :)

    ReplyDelete