Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Banana Nut Breakfast Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free)



This morning I woke up to this...


...and this...


No one warned me before I moved out to Colorado that springtime in the Rockies is unlike springtime anywhere else. Apparently, it is the coldest, snowiest, cloudiest season and if you know me, you know I do not enjoy any of those things. I thought I was out-smarting Mother Nature by moving in here in April, but clearly the joke was on me. 

I'm trying to maintain a good attitude about it and tell myself it'll feel like spring soon and that we need the precipitation since we're in a drought, but when that didn't work I took to the kitchen. Homemade cookies are one of my ultimate comfort foods and when those cookies are actually good for you, so much so it's acceptable to eat them for breakfast... double win!

Don't you love the old school blue mason jars Molly found in her grandfather's basement?

These cookies are full of nothing but wholesome ingredients like old-fashioned oats, ground flax seed, almond butter, bananas and a hint of honey. They're soft and chewy and I definitely did not burn my mouth taste-testing one straight out of the oven. They make the perfect grab-and-go breakfast on those cold mornings like today when you hit the snooze button a few times in an attempt to avoid the chilly air. Or bring them on a hike or on a picnic or to the beach. They're filling and satisfying without weighing you down. They're loaded with protein, fiber, potassium, Vitamin E and healthy fats like Omega-3. Plus, they're cookies for breakfast, how can you complain about that? 

*Since we just moved our pantry is still a little sad and empty so I used what nuts and nut butter I had on hand, feel free to substitute walnuts (which I would have preferred to use) or other nuts in place of the almonds and feel free to substitute peanut butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, mac nut butter....or whatever you fancy. You will notice very quickly that both Molly and I love almonds.

Banana Nut Breakfast Cookies

  • 1 Ripe Banana
  • 1/4 Cup Almond Milk (or other non-dairy milk)
  • 1/4 Cup Almond Butter
  • 1 Tablespoon Honey (Vegans substitute Pure Maple Syrup, Agave or Brown Rice Syrup)
  • 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons Ground Flax Seed
  • 1/4 Cup Sliced or Chopped Almonds
  • 1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats (make sure they're Gluten Free for those with sensitivities)
Makes 12 cookies.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium size bowl, mash banana and add the almond milk, almond butter, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and flax seed. Mix thoroughly. Add the almonds and oats, mix to combine. Batter with be slightly loose and wet. Spoon batter onto a silpat, wax paper or greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 until slightly toasted looking and slightly firm to the touch, be careful not to over bake or they may become crumbly. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and dig in!

*Feel free to mix in other fun ingredients as well such as shredded coconut, dark chocolate chunks or dried fruit.

Are you one of the lucky people experiencing spring weather? 
Tell me about it so that I may live vicariously through you.

3 comments:

  1. Holy Moly those look good. It's looks like oatmeal made into a cookie. I am so bad with doing any type of baking, not because I am unskilled, but because I never have ingredients. If I don't have it on hand, then I am not likely to make it. But these... these look awesome. So, I might have to go out and make some purchases.
    I am definitely having spring weather, ALMOST summer actually. We have been out by the pool almost every weekend just soaking up the rays. But, it's weird because other days will be raining and 45 degrees. So... whatever Texas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry... it didn't post with my google ID for some reason?

    Holy Moly those look good. It's looks like oatmeal made into a cookie. I am so bad with doing any type of baking, not because I am unskilled, but because I never have ingredients. If I don't have it on hand, then I am not likely to make it. But these... these look awesome. So, I might have to go out and make some purchases.
    I am definitely having spring weather, ALMOST summer actually. We have been out by the pool almost every weekend just soaking up the rays. But, it's weird because other days will be raining and 45 degrees. So... whatever Texas. xx
    www.greetingsfromnolandia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ...yeah I hear ya on the only baking what you have on hand. I finally ran out to Whole Foods yesterday to get some more ingredients. I figured no one will want to read a blog that's a bunch of different oatmeal recipes haha
      Send some of that almost-summer weather this way! We're supposed to get hit with possible snow on Tuesday, but then *fingers crossed* warm and sunny weather after that. Hopefully it sticks around. Soak up some sun for me!

      Delete