Monday, March 25, 2013

Whole Wheat Tortillas (Vegan)


The first roommate I had when I got to Maui made homemade tortillas all the time. I think they may have been some of the best things I've ever tasted. There is nothing quite like a warm, freshly made tortilla. She knew to make a whole extra batch just for our other roommate and I because we loved them so much and would have eaten all of hers. 
After being spoiled by her, store-bought tortillas just don't cut it for me. So when I found this recipe, I couldn't wait to try it. It's so simple- only four ingredients, ingredients that I always have on hand and they only take thirty minutes to make. Plus, they don't contain lard which most tortilla recipes I've found do. I love tortillas and by making my own for only cents each, not only will it save me from consuming all those additives that store-bought tortillas contain, it will also save me money. And anyone who knows me knows I'm all about saving money.


All you need is two cups of whole wheat flour, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 3/4 cup of water and three tablespoons of olive oil. Mix all the ingredients together. Knead the dough for a minute or two, roll it into a ball and let it rest for about ten minutes.


Then divide the dough into eight equal pieces. Roll the pieces into flat circles. Cook them in a skillet and you're done. Simple as that.


Whole Wheat Tortillas
Adapted from: Taste of Home
  • 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
  • 3/4 Cup Warm Water
  • 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder (optional)
Makes 8 tortillas.
In a large bowl, combine flour and salt, mix in the water and olive oil. Turn onto a floured surface and knead for approximately one minute or until the dough is a smooth texture. Let rest for 10 minutes. While the dough is resting, heat a greased skillet over medium heat. Divide the dough in 8 sections. On a floured surface, roll each section into a flat circle, about 7 inches across. Place the dough, one at a time, in the skillet. Once it starts to bubble, flip it. If the dough overcooks or if the skillet isn't pre-heated, the tortillas will become too stiff. Keep warm under a clean dish towel until ready to serve. Enjoy! Refrigerate to store. 
Options: For larger, burrito-size tortillas, divide the dough into 5-6 sections and roll the tortillas into larger circles. For perfectly circular tortillas, roll out the sections and use a bowl as a stencil and trace around it with a knife. To save time, I found that I had exactly enough time to roll out a section while one was cooking, rather than rolling them all out ahead of time. 


What's your favorite way to eat tortillas? Fajitas? Tacos? Enchiladas? Chips?

Peace & Love,
Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment