Wednesday, January 1, 2014

12 Vegan Recipes to Help Incorporate More Greens into Your Diet

Happy New Year!!!
I feel like it has been so long since I've posted. I've been busy doing the spend-time-with-the-family-during-the-holidays thing. Sam and I arrived back in Texas last night from our 12 day trip to the east coast. Later this week I'll be posting pictures and sharing a bunch of recipes we made over the holidays, but for now let's talk resolutions. It is the new year after all.

I'm sure it comes as no surprise to anyone that the number one new year's resolution made each year is to be healthier and/ or lose weight. Which is good since our country is in dire need of a health make-over, but bad because no one sticks to it, it's too vague of a goal. So for those of you looking to get healthy or to lose weight this year I encourage you to make more specific and attainable goals such as going on a walk four times a week or eating a healthy breakfast everyday. My get healthy goal this year is to add dark, leafy greens to at least two out of three meals a day. 

Dark, leafy greens are nutrient powerhouses and the simple act of adding them into dishes that you already make will go along way in helping you absorb valuable vitamins and minerals that you may not be getting enough of. You know what happens when your body doesn't get the nutrients it needs? It craves more food. Which means you eat more food which in turn means you most likely gain weight, not to mention your body will still be missing those nutrients causing a whole host of health problems. So if you haven't made a health goal for this year, may I suggest you try adding more greens and just more vegetables in general?

Below I've listed some delicious recipes that incorporate greens to help give you some ideas of how to add them into our own diet. I specifically chose recipes that don't make you feel like your biting into a giant leaf of kale. Whenever I feel like I need an extra boost of nutrition I add some greens to whatever I'm making; I may add shredded spinach to guacamole, ripped kale to pizza or make a hummus wrap on a leaf of chard instead of a tortilla. The important thing is that you still enjoy what you're eating, life's too short not to. I hope the recipes below help you begin your healthiest year yet!

*Please note that the photos below belong to the corresponding blogs, to access them just click the link below the photos. *

-Spinach-

Lemon, Olive Oil, and Roasted Garlic Pasta with Spinach + Lentils // edible perspective #glutenfree #vegan


SONY DSC


Sneaky Green Apple Fruit Leather


-Kale-








-Chard and Collards-



Better Than Restaurant Falafel


Chard, Lentil, and Potato Slow Cooker Soup


There you have it. What are your favorite ways to sneak extra greens into your diet?
What are your resolutions this year?

6 comments:

  1. Sneak extra greens? I'm not much for sneaking except for when it comes to surprising you with stuff! XD
    I do love a good green smoothie, though...unless you put ginger in it as you like you to do. BLEH!!
    Resolutions for 2014: EAT MORE TACOS!! ...and less sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha
      I think those are fantastic resolutions :-)

      Delete
  2. So much inspiration for eating greens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha and I just bought a boat load of spinach and kale! I better get to it. I see lots of green smoothies in my future.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful lists of recipes! When I don't eat as much fruit and veg as normal for a few days I crave chocolate like you wouldn't believe! Must be all those antioxidants...I can't wait to try some of these!! Happy new year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely been eating my share of chocolate the last few days! Happy New Year!

      Delete